3-5lbs of potatoes washed and chopped
5 medium to large carrots washed and chopped
1 small onion chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic chopped fine or 3tsp garlic powder
3-5 tbsp salt to taste
3 tsp pepper
2 tsp cayenne
1 cup any smooth fine flour (amaranth or
2 cups plain, unsweetened almond or cashew milk
3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
3 tbsp coconut manna or any vegan butter
2 cubes 7Seven brand veggie bouillon
- Start by filling a large pot a little over half full with water and set to boil. Whisk in the bouillon cube by breaking it with your fingers over the pot and then stirring in the dry spices as well.
- Prepare vegetables by washing and chopping potatoes, carrots, onion and add all to the pot. Save the chopped garlic for the end as cooking it too long means losing potentially huge benefits to garlic and you will still get the flavor!
- Bring vegetables to a boil and continue cooking till potatoes and carrots are soft enough to easily pierce, 15-25 depending on chop size.
- Turn heat down and remove 3 cups of broth into a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the cup of flour till it thickens and is smooth. Transfer back into the soup, mixing in the almond milk as well.
- Continue simmering for another 5-10 minutes. Add the fresh garlic in before serving and mix well.
It’s warm and good with crackers and shredded cheese(shamelessly obsessed with Follow Your Heart vegan shreds).
What’s not to love?
This was one of the easiest vegan transitions for our family favorites.
Seven brand bouillion cubes are the closest I have found to a chicken broth flavor in a vegan cube. If we have fresh herbs on hand we throw them in.
Green onions are great in this too. You can add more or less salt depending on how you like your soup.
For us, potato soup is a salty treat and we add quite a bit more than usual. Just add a little at a time
Have fun, make good food and love one another, then spread that out.