As passionate gardeners who happen to be working in a confined space, we find creative ways to make room for many fun things.
And we always need room for plants
We have gotten creative in many ways before, making a plethora of makeshift pots, garden beds, and seed starters. We have used milk jugs, Tupperware, cardboard, and just about any material that will hold soil, water, and a plant. We pride ourselves on our creativity and versatility.
We have already shared how we built our winter garden, which has successfully allowed us to keep some plants over winter, allowed us to start plants early, and keep them away from pests, creatures, and harsh weather. And it cost us a total of around $20.
You can do this
We also take pride in how much we have done with how little money we have invested. We could be the people that blow every penny we have on nice pots, nice lumber, nice clothes, nice garden beds, but we simply are not.
We have dragged fallen trees out of our pond to create shelves, poles for bed covers, and all kinds of other things to allow us to grow crops as efficiently as possible. Money is not that important to us, but we prefer to put what money we do have towards things that we are sure we cannot make ourselves or find through a second-hand store, friends, or through a private seller.
Either way, we want to help you do more with less, just as we have become successful with.
So, to begin, we have a large window in our bedroom. Just the one. But it allows massive amounts of sunlight to pour into our bedroom over most of the day.
We grow and enjoy using other herbs, such as basil, cilantro, and parsley so much that we aspired to produce more.
There is nothing more satisfying than cooking a meal and having fresh herbs available to throw in the pot. This bed allows our bedroom to satisfy most of our cooking herbal needs, and currently, in our small bedroom garden bed, we produce sweet basil, lemon basil, sage, parsley, cilantro, and one rogue tomato plant that somehow ended up in there.
This bed has worked well, and the herbs are spreading through the dirt, and our organic micro-ecosystem is flourishing.
To start the construction, here is a list of materials we used:
2 pieces of 2 x 4 – cut to 36″
4 pieces of 2 x 4 – cut to 24″
2 pieces of 2 x 4 – cut to 12″
1 piece of plywood – cut to 36″ by 16″
1 piece of 1 x 6 – cut to 24″ (optional)
I decided to start with the actual top of the bed. This was a simple process, and it requires the piece of plywood, and the 2 x 4 cut to 36″, as well as two of the 2 x 4 12″ cuts.
Use the 2 x 4 as walls, and border the outside of the plywood.
Attach the 2 x 4 along the perimeter of the plywood, and secure it tightly. This will negate water from leaking out during later plant watering.
So, the idea is that you end up having a plywood base, 2 x 4 running along the outside of the perimeter of the base. It is 36″ x 16″, or really whatever measurement will work for your needs.
So now, you have a small bed, set it to the side.
Assembling the legs:
The legs require the remaining two pieces of 2 x 4 cut to 12″, the ones cut to 24″, and the 1 x 6 cut to 24″.
Take the two 24″ 2 x 4 pieces and lay them parallel vertically, 24″ apart from each other.
the 24″ pieces will act as “legs” and the 12″ pieces as the “feet.”
Then, on the bottom of each 24″ piece, fasten a 12″ piece. Secure the screws directly in the middle of the 12″ piece, so that it creates a “T” shape.
So now you have two independent legs.
Take the 1 x 6 piece, and fasten it on top of the “feet.” This acts as a stabilizing board, as well as a nifty little shelf to store pots or gardening supplies conveniently under your bedroom garden bed.
Assembling the rest:
Then, take the legs with the feet and stabilizing board attached, and fasten it underneath the bed you previously created. This allows the bed to be tall enough to comfortably work in without being too tall.
This is just how we did it, it was a simplistic design but we have had great success with this.
Overall, this project was successful, with some wood we had lying around we were able to build a bed that allows us enough of an area to grow a sufficient amount of herbs while being deep enough to allow the plants to root deep enough to thrive.
Essentially for free, we obtained a small bed which is conveniently fit to our room, large enough to grow an abundance of herbs but small enough to be out of the way.
Issues I ran into
The main issue with assembling was just a minor error.zz on my part. A small handwriting fiasco at the hardware store led me to accidentally purchasing drywall screws, which did not work so well for this task. They broke, bore out, and it took me a moment to realize why.
Don’t make this mistake.
The next incident rather than a mistake was the fact that the spearmint that we attempted to grow in this bed was admired just as much by a mouse that found its way into our house.
As with anything else we build, it can be modified to your specifications. If you have any questions, comments, need more detailed notes, or want to provide input or tips for us, or just want to share your experience, please do so in our comment section.
Here are pictures that I took of this bed, while sitting at our desk and writing this article.